What More Can I Say?


Dear Friends & Family,

I have been pretty consistent about posting updates on Tuesday nights....until the last couple of weeks.  A few people asked me today, when am I going to post? Honestly, what more can I say. Curt's health is declining, as it has since his diagnosis, a little more each day. Each day, there is less and less he can do physically and all the while we go on smiling behind our aching and broken hearts. I don't know how much longer I can smile to the world when all I want to do is cry.

This disease is horrible and inhumane. It is not fair that he can not scratch his own itches or re-position himself or take care of his bathroom needs. It is not fair that I have to take care of my 45 year old husband as if he was a 90 year old man. It is not fair that our kids have to watch their Dad's strength and speech diminish each day. It is not fair that a man who has done nothing but good his entire life, has to be fed by others. It is not fair that I have to fight the daily pain of Fibromyalgia while physically maneuvering Curt around throughout the day. Nothing is fair, nothing is easy, everything sucks.

We have many things to be thankful for. Countless friends. Curt's mom, Barbara, who comes over four days a week and cares for Curt, while I work. Hospice nurses, bath aides, prescriptions for pain relief and sleep. Financial security. Answered prayers (more on that later). Employees who pick up the slack when I am unable to function at work. Time to be together as a family. A comfortable home. Neighbors who bring us meals. Neighbors who offer to help when they see me working outside, or ones who come over unexpectedly and hose our yard or clean our garage. Friends who offer help and support. Friends who send inspiring notes and books and flowers to brighten our day. Yes, we have soooo much to be thankful for.

On a few of my posts I have asked for specific prayers and they have been answered. Last week we were struggling with communication, I asked for prayer, and things have gotten much better between Curt & I and the challenge to communicate as he is struggling to speak. So I will continue to ask specifically.  Now more than ever, Clarissa needs friends she can depend on, cry with, and just have fun with. She is a planner and likes to have a full schedule. Many of her friends have gone off to college while others have become undependable and aloof. Please pray that Clarissa can find forever friends. Friends who understand her current struggle and who can be supportive, encouraging and real. Thank you for praying for Clarissa, my heart has been breaking for her.

Last week our schedule was pretty open to begin with, but before we knew it, BAM!  Here is a glimpse of our week!

Love,
Cindy, Curt, Clarissa, Cayden & Corbin

Tuesday Night
Friday Friends Forever!
After pedis at our favorite salon, we stopped by the Park, where our friendship blossomed years ago (on Fridays), to toast and say goodbye to Lynn who is moving to New Jersey.
Bottom: Jaime, Carolyn, Lynn, RaeLynn
Top: Lisa, Lori, Me, Margie, Julie

We will all miss you so much!

At La Tavolata (Clarissa's restaurant) we continued our goodbyes to Lynn
 while also celebrating Julie's birthday.

Curt had Clarissa take roses to leave on the table for each of the women. He is so thoughtful!
Clarissa served us, I wish she could have joined us instead!


Thursday Night
A spontaneous dinner with Mark & Kelli......
 
.......at La Tavolata
  
Friday Night
Dinner for 6 instantly turned to dinner for 12 and here we were at La Tavolata again!!

Saturday Night
We had a blast as guests of Mike and Cindy (our high school friend) and their daughter
 Jennifer Detlefsen at the Orange County Speedway motorcycle races.

We saw our old friend Byrd (in background) who was there to promote the Harley Sidecar he and his team built. Corbin loved watching the sidecars race.
Thanks Detlefsen Family for having us as your guests.
We felt special sharing the front row box seats with you guys!

Sunday
Jim & Colleen came for a visit, they brought tons of munchies and Jim bbq'd tri tip!
We all had a relaxing Sunday evening! And Krystal too!

Chloe, Corbin & Paige swam for about 4 hours and then settled down in the garage for some tv time.

Tuesday Night
Jim McGhee (center), came to visit with a bottle of wine. Our neighbor Gary (left, with wife Joyce) was a long time friend of his. As they were reminiscing, Steve Gallie and family popped in for a visit
 We love these spontaneous gatherings!

Earlier Tonight
Our interior decorator and friend Wendy, gave us this sign. She has really figured us out!
Curt met Larry in the street holding it on his lap and soon we were blessed with another "gathering"!

1 comment:

Steve Gallie said...

Cindy,

I am glad I'm not alone. I have wanted to, and have actually begun writing you a comment over the past few months, but each and every time I stop and never post it. Every encouraging phrase or cleverly crafted insight I can muster up simply comes out sounding cliche.

Honestly, the only phrase that keeps recycling through my head is to echo you...THIS SUCKS!!...and it's UNFAIR!!

As always, we will continue praying for you guys, and it's encouraging to know that all of our heartfelt cries to God are being answered in some way.

We love you guys,

Steve for the Gallie Family